West Fargo Sheyenne's Nate Peyerl medals, Mustangs repeat as champs
June 8, 2022 5:00 pm
By Tom Mix
NDHSAA Media Specialist
FARGO – It was a clean sweep for the West Fargo Sheyenne boys golf team on Wednesday, June 8 during the 2022 NDHSAA Class A Boys Golf State Tournament at Rose Creek Golf Course.
The Mustangs repeated as team state champions and were led by standout junior Nate Peyerl, who took home individual state medalist honors.
Peyerl entered Wednesday’s final round tied with Fargo North senior Landon Olson at 1-under.
Peyerl played steady parring the first six holes and scored a birdie on Hole 16 to go 2-under for the tournament. A double bogey on Hole 17 brought Peyerl back to even par for the tournament.
Olson and Fargo Davies’ senior Gabe Benson stayed within striking distance. Peyerl narrowly missed birdies twice on the back nine holes and took bogies on Holes 2 and 7. The bogey on Hole 7 opened the door for Benson who birdied the hole to pull even with Peyerl with two holes left to play.
On Hole 8, Peyerl recovered for par while Benson double bogied restoring Peyerl’s lead entering the final hole of the tournament the par-5 Hole 9
Peyerl removed any drama on the final hole hitting the green on his second shot and made a 20-foot putt for an eagle putting him at an even-par 142 for the tournament.
Peyerl is the first West Fargo Sheyenne boys golfer to win individual medalist honors.
The Mustangs also got top-10 finishes from Andrew Wilhelm (fourth, 148) and Ben Likness (tied for ninth, 152).
Fargo Davies finished runner up with 599 strokes in team play.
INDIVIDUAL TOP-10 FINISHERS (ALL-STATE):
1. Nate Peyerl, West Fargo Sheyenne, 70-72–142
2. Landon Olson, Fargo North, 70-75–145
3. Gabe Benson, Fargo Davies, 71-75–146
4. Andrew Wilhelm, West Fargo Sheyenne, 73-75–148
5T. Jake Skarperud, Fargo Shanley, 76-73–149
5T. Jayce Johnson, Fargo Davies, 72-77–149
7T. Trent Wiemken, Fargo Davies, 73-77–150
7T. Skyler Syverson, Grand Forks Red River, 75-75–150
9T. Evan Booth, Fargo South, 74-78–152
9T. Ben Likness, West Fargo Sheyenne, 75-77–152
1. West Fargo Sheyenne, 294-299–593; 2. Fargo Davies, 294-305–599; 3. Grand Forks Red River, 302-314–616; 4. Fargo North, 304-318–622; 5. Bismarck Century, 307-326–633; 6. Minot, 313-327–640; 7. Fargo Shanley, 325-322–647; 8. Grand Forks Central, 314-334–648; 9. Dickinson, 327-336–663; 10. Bismarck Legacy, 355-346–701; 11. Bismarck St. Mary’s, 355-352–707; 12. Williston, 393-382–775.