NDHSAA Throwback Thursday: 1976 Class B Boys Basketball State Tournament
February 3, 2022 1:00 pm
By Tom Mix
NDHSAA Media Specialist
VALLEY CITY, N.D. – Each Thursday NDHSAA Media Specialist Tom Mix posts a “Throwback Thursday” featured news story highlighting a championship team, a specific tournament/event or significant individual(s) from NDHSAA history on the NDHSAA NOW website. Keep visiting each Thursday!
NDHSAA Throwback Thursday: The 1976 NDHSAA Class B Boys basketball State Tournament won by LaMoure High School
- The 1976 NDHSAA Class B boys basketball state tournament was played at the Bismarck Civic Center.
- LaMoure was one of three teams to enter the 1976 state tournament undefeated. New Town and Lakota were also undefeated.
- LaMoure’s boys basketball team made its first appearance at the “B” in 1976
- Leon Thielges scored 26 points in the title game and finished the three-game tournament with 75 points.
- LaMoure’s three-game total of 252 points scored at the state tournament was a new team record in championship bracket play.
- LaMoure outscored its opponents at state by a total of 73 points.
Garrison 65, Mott 57
LaMoure 88, Rolla 64
New Town 60, Robinson 51
Lakota 56, Minnewaukan 53
Mott 102, Robinson 64
Minnewaukan 71, Rolla 66
LaMoure 78, Lakota 54
New Town 61, Garrison 52
Mott 67, Minnewaukan 60
Lakota 73, Garrison 70
LaMoure 86, New Town 61
(L to R): Head Coach Terry Olson, James Warcken, Steve Kennedy, Leon Thielges, Jeff Dohn, Derold Haugen, Bruce Shockman, Gary Klien, David Olson, Paul Potts, Keith Koch, Mark Shockman, Mike Berry, Assistant Coach Russ Heneger.
Kneeling (L to R): Merlynn Haisley, Tim Siedschlag, Debbie Gunderson
Got a cool North Dakota High School Sports “Throwback Thursday” idea? Email the material/details to firstname.lastname@example.org